The Q&A Archives: Renting Land Out to Organic Gardeners

Question: I have some property 65 miles south of St. Louis, Missuri and would like to rent plots of land out to organic gardeners. Is there a demand for land to be used this way? If so, what is an appropriate fee for renting out 1/4 acre, 1/2 acre, and one acre?

Answer: I think there's always an interest in renting gardening plots, especially if there's a water source on the property (who wants to truck in their own water??) and if the area is fenced so there's no vandalism. Most gardeners rent small plots - say 18' by 24', not a quarter or half acre - that's just too much work unless you have motorized equipment. You might contact some local gardening clubs to see what the interest might be in the area. Most small plots rent for about $25 per year.

Best wishes with your venture!