The Q&A Archives: Wild red roses

Question: A neighbor has a beautiful wild red rose bush and I would like to cut some so that I can transplant them in my front yard. How do I go about doing this?

Answer: There are a couple of approaches you can take, depending upon your experience. The easiest propagation method, but the one that takes the most time, is layering. Since it's a wild rose, you should be able to find a few stems that are lying on the ground. If so, you can encourage them to root by simply nicking the underside of the stem then laying the injured part on the earth, anchoring it down with a few rocks, and then covering with soil the part of the stem that's in contact with the earth. The buried part of the stem will form roots at the injury and you can then cut the newly rooted stem from the parent plant. You may even discover that the plant has already produced a few rooted stems if you explore around the base of the plant.

The other way to propagate the plant is to take semi-hardwood cuttings. Semi-hardwood cuttings are new growth that has matured a bit - it should be rigid, but you should be able to bend it without having it snap or splinter. Take a 5-6" length of growing stem, dip the bottom in rooting hormone, strip all but the top 3-4 leaves, and set the cut end in moistened potting soil, burying it past at least one of the leaf scars. To help maintain humdity, set 3-4 sticks into the pot and drape some plastic wrap over the sticks to form a tent. Place the pot in a shady spot in the garden and check regularly to make sure the soil remains moist.

Best wishes with your new rose bush!