The Q&A Archives: I would like to know if zoysia grass is right for my lawn.

Question: Hi, I would like to know if zoysia grass is right for my lawn.My yard is partly sunny.I live in MI . Zip code 48223.Thanks

Answer: Zoysia grass is a warm season grass which will remain green in Michigan during the summer but will die in the winter - it just can't take your cold winters.

Kentucky bluegrass is the most popular turfgrass species in Michigan. Varieties differ in color, texture, density, tolerance to close mowing, disease and insect resistance. Kentucky bluegrass is best suited to well-drained soils and moderate to high levels of sunlight. With proper management, it will form a high quality, long-lasting turf. It has an aggressive sodforming nature that allows rapid recovery from injury in heavily trafficked areas. Kentucky bluegrass germinates and becomes established slowly, so weeds may become a problem if the lawn is seeded in late spring or early summer. For a high quality, weed-free turfgrass, Kentucky bluegrass requires at least four applications of fertilizer per season and frequent irrigation during hot, dry periods.

Both perennial and annual (Italian) ryegrasses are also popular. Among lawn grass species they germinate the quickest and have the fastest rate of seedling establishment. Perennial and annual ryegrasses are not recommended in pure stands
except when quick establishment is needed, as on heavily trafficked areas of athletic fields. The turf quality of annual ryegrass is poor. It is difficult to mow and is useful only as a temporary cover. Both ryegrass species are susceptible to heat, cold, leaf spot and brown patch disease. On sites where Kentucky bluegrass is the grass of choice, it is beneficial to include 10 to 15 percent perennial
ryegrass in the mixture to provide quick soil coverage and improve germination conditions for the bluegrass.

While grasses do best in full sunshine, both Kentuck bluegrass and ryegrass will tolerate some shade.

Best wishes with your lawn!