The Q&A Archives: Garden

Question: Hi, my name is Deidra, im 28yrs old and just brought my 1st home. I just started a garden about one month ago. I am going out of town for 4 days. whats the best way I can make sure my plants are watered and what do I use for any insects that are starting to eat the leaves from my garden.

Thank you
Deidra Lowery

Answer: Drip irrigation systems are available for the garden. Soaker hose is another option for garden beds or landscape plantings. If you put these systems on a timer, your plants will get watered regularly. It's best to set up such a system a few weeks in advance so you have time to fine-tune the watering schedule.

Self-Watering Planters have built-in reservoirs that will provide water for a week or more, depending on the size of the plant and the weather/climate.

Mulching the soil surface will minimize evaporation and keep soil as moist as possible.

If you have someone watering in your absence, try positioning Aqua Cones near garden plants or in container gardens. Ask the person to fill each Aqua Cone and you'll make sure water gets down to the root zone rather than just on the soil surface.

It's hard to recommend a pesticide without knowing which pests you're trying to control. Once you notice damage, inspect the plants thoroughly to find the pest. If you cannot identify it, take it (in a plastic baggie) to your local garden center and they will identify it and recommend a control strategy.

Best wishes with your landscape!