The Q&A Archives: sod for backyard

Question: Currently there are woodchips in backyard. I want grass. Do I remove the woodchips? What do I need to put down prior to planting sod? Yard is not level, what do you recommend leveling it with prior to planting sod? Is sod best way to get grass to grow? Thank you very much!

Answer: Susan,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question and hope it is still helpful to you.

First remove the wood chips. They will be useful to use in planting beds as a mulch so don't throw them away.level the yard by grading the soil around or bringing in additional soil for the low spots. Sod is a good way to them plant a yard and have a look great quickly.