The Q&A Archives: whats wrong with fountain grass

Question: I am sorry about earlier email. I was deleting and it sent it. Anyway I have a fountain grass that is in the second season. It keeps loosing the leafs around the edge. I have cut back on water. It gets good light. Drainage is great. But every week we remove more dead leaves. Is this normal or what are we doing wrong. It is a prennial one.

Answer: Royce,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question and hope it is still helpful to you.

I'm not sure what is wrong with your fountain grass. If it is the edges of individual grass blades that are browning this is usually a sign of a lack of water or in some cases excessive fertilization with a salt-based fertilizer. If it is the clumps themselves that are dying around the edges then I would again consider a lack of water as the likely culprit.