The Q&A Archives: tomatoes and cukes

Question: Every year my cukes start dying early. The leaves start getting yellow on the bottom of the plant and it works it's way up to the top. The leaves get brittle and die. This year one of my tomato plants has the same thing. (cherry tomato) I spray and use 7 dust but nothing helps. No one at Home Depot can help me either nor can Caloways, Hope you can.

Phyllis Beene

Answer: I suspect cucumber wilt which begins with beetles feeding on the leaves and stems. Here's a website from the University of Kentucky (sorry it's not Texas!) describing the symptoms. I chose this site because it has photos of affected plants which you can compare to your own plants.

With your tomato plants, you may be dealing with late blight. If so, planting in a different area of the garden is a good strategy, as is growing disease resistant tomato varieties.

Best wishes with your veggies!