The Q&A Archives: tomatoes without chemicals

Question: Hi my name is lui, and I just want to know how to grow tomatoes in our backyard without spraying pesticides. Is there any alternative substance that I can use aside from chemicals? I hate chemicals. As much as possible I want my plant to grow naturally!

Answer: You should be able to grow tomatoes without having to use chemicals on them. Plant them in full sunshine, in organic rich soil, water them deeply once or twice a week and visit with them every day or two. Visiting the plants will enable you to catch problems early one. You can hand pick any pests you discover or you can use the following homemade pest control mixture:
Homemade Pest Repellant
This spray may help against whitefly, aphids, beetles, grasshoppers, slugs, and scale. It also can help deter rabbits and raccoons.

6 cloves garlic
1/2 onion
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper or 3-4 very hot peppers or
1 tablespoon of hot pepper liquid, such as Tabasco
1 tablespoon dishwashing liquid (biodegradable is best)
1 quart water
Put the first four ingredients in the blender along with a cup or two of water and blend until smooth. Pour the liquid into a large jar and add the rest of the water. Let it steep for about 24 hours, and then strain out the solids. Pour the liquid into a spray bottle and spray your plants?make sure to get the underside of the leaves, too. The spray keeps in the refrigerator up to two weeks.

Hope you have a bountiful harvest!