The Q&A Archives: Copperhead snakes

Question: We always have copperheads, and babies of course, and they hang around my flower garden because they seem to like liriope, which is my border. Is there an herb that I can plant in there that will deter the snakes? Besides, I want to get in there to thin out the liriope. Atlanta, GA

Answer: Linda,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question and hope it is still helpful to you.

I am not aware of any plants that will keep copperheads or other snakes out of your garden. Those snakes like the Liriope because it is a great place to hide and search for food. A good cat or rat terrier dog seems to be the best way to "manage" copperheads and other snakes!