The Q&A Archives: Revivng a Clivia

Question: I have a potted Clivia that got broken off at the base of the leafs with only three short roots remaining. The leaves are very vibrant and I presently have it in a glass of water. Is there any chance of it surviving and ,if so, what can I do to help it along?

Answer: Since you have leaves with attached roots, you should be able to pot your plant reminant up and it should grow. You might also try to salvage the rest of the roots (unless you've already tossed them). Use regular potting soil and set the short roots in the soil and the leaves above the soil line. Prop it up if you need to (bamboo skewers or popsicle sticks). Water the soil well after planting your clivia and then allow the soil to dry out on top before watering again. If you keep the roots in water they might suffocate (they need oxygen!) so pot your plant up asap.

Best wishes with your clivia!