The Q&A Archives: pests that eat flowers

Question: What kind of pest would eat the entire blossoms of a stargazer lily? One day there is one full bloom and several unopened buds. The next morning all were gone. The leaves were intact. Coleous nearby were not affected. This lily was in a fenced area near our pool. The only pests I have noticed are squirrels and chipmunks except for ants. I have been gardening for years and I have never had this problem. Thanks for your help.

Answer: Julie,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question and hope it is still helpful to you.

I'm not sure what hate those flowers and in fact it could be anything from neighborhood kids picking them to some nocturnal varmint. I would consider deer to also be a possible culprit.