The Q&A Archives: Planting Asparagus

Question: I have just received roots for Giant Asparagus. I am completely confounded as to which end goes up. Is it the short knubby end, or the long finger like ends. All the directions say is to plant them 18 inches apart, with rows being 4-5 feet apart, in trenches 6-8in. deep, and to keep covering them as they come up. I still can't figure out which end goes up.

Answer: Asparagus crowns should be planted with the long, finger-like roots down. New growth will come from the top of the crown, opposite of the roots. Your planting directions are correct. Be sure to prepare your planting bed by digging in plenty of aged manure or compost before digging your trenches, and get those crowns planted as soon as possible!