The Q&A Archives: Indoor planters

Question: I have a planter that doesn't have a drainage hole, can I just put the soil & plant in it and not water it often? or what?

Answer: It's really not a good idea to plant directly in a container with no drainage holes. No matter how careful you are with water, some will inevitably collect at the bottom and turn stagnant, which will harm the roots and taint the potting soil. If you have a planter you really love, you can keep your plants in smaller plastic containers and sink them into the planter, covering the tops of the containers with some spaghnum moss. When your plants need watering, take them out, set them in the sink and water thoroughly, then allow the excess water to drain before setting the pots back into the planter.

Best wishes with your plants!