The Q&A Archives: Tulips

Question: I planted red tulips two years ago, last Spring they cam beack, this spring only a few came back but all of them had the green leaves to grow but no tulips.

Thank you

Answer: There are two common reasons for failure to bloom in tulips - one is that they are overcrowded and have to compete too much for moisture and nutrition and the second is when the foliage is cut back before it ripens and turns yellow. The leaves transport energy to the bulbs for the following spring's floral display. If they are cut down too soon, the bulbs won't have the reserve energy required to produce flowers. So to ensure flowering next spring, be sure to allow the leaves to wither down all on their own. If you've be doing this all along, then I suspect the bulbs are in need of digging and replanting. Wait until the leaves die down, then dig them up and replant, giving each bulb 4-6 inches of space.

Best wishes with your tulips!