The Q&A Archives: Too Late to Plant my Garden?

Question: I would like to plant tomatoes, maybe lettuce, cucumbers, is it too late to do so? I live in NJ.

Thank you.

Answer: It's not too late to plant tomatoes and cucumbers, especially if you choose early maturing varieties. Some for you to consider include:
'Anna Russian'. Pinkish-red, heart-shaped fruits are very early, large and juicy; vines are hardy. Indeterminate. 65-70 days.

'Buckbee's New 50 Day'. Good yields of great tasting 4-oz. red round fruit. Both cold and heat tolerant. Indeterminate. 55 days.

'Gold Nugget'. An early golden cherry tomato; produces sweet flavorful crack-resistant fruit. Determinate. 60 days.

'Legend'. Very large, glossy red fruit; very early and hardy; resistant to late blight fungus, the bane of cool and rainy climates. Determinate. 68 days.

'Oregon Spring'. Big red fruit with good flavor. One of the earliest of all, plants are resistant to both cool and hot temperatures. Seedless (parthenocarpic) compact determinate. 58 days.

Cucumbers will ripen in about 65 days. Lettuces are cool-season crops and are best planted in early spring or in late summer (mid August) for harvesting during the cooler autumn months.

Best wishes with your garden!