The Q&A Archives: need to know?

Question: I'm a rookie gardener it is my first time planting. What my question is how often should i water my mortellero's crape myrtle dwarf purple. thank you

Answer: Every gardener was a rookie at some time in their gardening experience. Welcome to one of the most rewarding hobbies of all time! Most landscape trees and shrubs will be happy with one deep soaking per week during the growing season. I'm guessing that you just planted your crape myrtle. If so, make a watering basin or watering well around the trunk or main stem by mounding up 2-3 inches of soil all around your crape myrtle, about 12" from the trunk. Fill this basin with water, allow to drain, then fill it a second time. Do this once each week. This method of watering concentrates the moisture over the root mass and allows it to trickle down, wetting the entire root system.

Best wishes with your garden!