The Q&A Archives: Garden inside

Question: I live on the fifth floor of a high rise. I have a LOT of plants all in a pretty good sized window, but I have a lot of trouble growing in that window. Any suggestions on making sure every body gets good light? I love my indoor Garden but I can't seem to get them all perky at the same time.

Answer: Although there are many houseplants from which to choose, you'll be most successful with your indoor garden if you group plants with similar requirements together, giving each group the light and humidity they prefer. You didn't list your plants so I can't give you specific advice but if you know the names of your plants you can do a web search to see whether they like bright light or low light conditions, moist soil or dry soil. You might also keep in mind that air next to a window can get stale, especially near a bay window. A small fan directed in the general area can help recirculate the air and move humidity/moisture around. Most housplants will thrive in moderate light conditions and soil that is allowed to dry slightly between waterings (there are exceptions). I water my plants thoroughly and then wait until the top of the soil is dry before watering again. Sometimes you can simply pick up a potted plant and tell by the weight whether or not it needs to be watered. Wish I had more options to share.