The Q&A Archives: suffering birch

Question: Hi! I have, well at least I think it is, a birch tree in my backyard. I live in a new construction home and the tree was planted by the builder. The tree does not look happy, hardly has any leaves and seems to be growing at an odd angle. It is a multi trunk, though it is not very big, the largest trunk is less than 2 inches in diameter. I don't really think the climate and conditions where I live are good for this type of tree, but I am stuck with it, so would like to know what to do for it. I live in St Augustine, Florida, which I think may be too warm in winter for this tree. Should I just remove it? Or is there some way I can get it healthy again? Thanks for your suggestions.
Debbie M

Answer: Debbie,

It is difficult to say what to do about the tree without knowing for sure what type it is. Your description of its for them does leave room for it being a birch tree. I suggest you call your local County Extension Office to see about bringing in a photo or sample from the leaves so they can identify it for you. Their contact information is:
St. Johns County Extension, 3125 Agricultural Center Drive, St. Augustine, FL 32092-0572
Phone: (904) 209-0430

I hate to recommend removing a tree without knowing for sure what species it is. Birches suffer in hot summer weather especially and dry conditions.