The Q&A Archives: Dahlias

Question: I purchased my first Dahlia tubers and can find very little information on growing them other than to plant at the same time as tomatoes. Am I to understand that they like warm soil? But what I don't understand is shouldn't they start "getting settled in" and sending roots out before they start pushing up growth?<br><br>Thank you for all the help and info that you can give me on the Dahlias. <br><br>Corky<br>

Answer: Dahlia's are native to Mexico and Guatemala, and therefore appreciate warm growing conditions. Wait until mid-spring to plant, after the soil has warmed up. When conditions are just right, the plants will grow quite fast. If you plant too soon, the tubers will just sit and sulk, and maybe rot. Dig deep holes and plant stakes for support as you plant your dahlia tubers. Cover the tubers with soil, and when they emerge, tie the stems to the stake. Dahlias can grow 3-6 feet tall in sunny conditions and well-drained soil. If you pinch out the growing tip when the plant is small, you'll force additional stems, resulting in a bushy plant with lots of upright growth and many blossoms.