The Q&A Archives: getting rid of cactus

Question: There is cactus planted outside of our house. It was there before we moved in, and now we would like to get rid of it safley. I tried round up for poison ivy and tough brush but that didn't work is there anything I can do to get rid of it with out touching it to much

Answer: Round-Up should work, but it will work better if you can get it down into the root system. If it is too large to cut down, you can use a wooden or metal stake held at an angle and pounded down into the root system, then removed. Make several holes at the base of the plant and into the soil several inches, then pour Round Up into the holes. Or, cover the entire plant with black plastic or a dark colored tarp. Without sunshine, the plant will die. When you've gotten rid of the prickly top, be sure to dig out the roots or they will resprout.

Good luck with your project!