The Q&A Archives: help with lawn

Question: My lawn is disappering and I don't know what to do. first it looked like I had moles and now alot of it is turning yellow and then dies. What can I do to repair what I have and how should I lay down new sod and what type of grass would be the best to use in Florida?

Answer: Sandra,

There are a number of things that can cause a lawn to turn yellow and die. Among these problems are chinch bugs and take all patch. I suggest that you take a sample from the lawn (4" X 4" plug with roots in a ziplock bag) along with a photo of the lawn areas (if possible) to your County Extension Office to see if they can help diagnose the problem and recommend an appropriate course of action. With a sample in hand they are more likely be able to point to specific cause of the problem. Their contact information is:
Alachua County Extension, 2800 N.E. 39th Avenue, Gainesville, FL 32609-2658
Phone: (352) 955-2402