The Q&A Archives: Majesty Palm

Question: I bought a few majesty palm trees last summer. They were about 7-8 feet tall when I purchased them. However, the new fronds don't seem to be getting as tall. they look like they open up at about 3-4 feet. One of them is in a pot, the other is planted in the ground. They get plenty of water and I do fertilize them every 3 months. Also, I have a very young queen palm tree, about 5 feet tall. What is the average growth rate of queen palms and how often should I water the queen plam? Please let me know. Thank you.

Answer: Although the very top of your palms may be 7-8', the crown of the plant is much lower. The leaves develop from the crown of the plant, then grow upwards and curve down in a natural growth pattern. What you describe sounds typical for majesty palms. The fronds will elongate at they mature. Queen palms are slow to establish but then make up for lost time by putting out an average of 3-4 new fronds each growing season. Queen palms like moist soil so water thoroughly when the top inch of soil dries out.

Enjoy your tropical paradise!