Question: I planted a lilac about 5 yrs. ago or longer. It has grown taller, about 8 ft. tall now, but never had flowers. What should I do?
It gets sun and I have fertilized it. I am so disappointed that I dont get my beautiful, fragrant flowers!

Answer: Lilacs have a reputation for being reluctant bloomers. Sometimes they can take up to 7 years to perform well after planting! Lilacs produce flower buds during the summer months for the following spring's display. You didn't mention whether or not you've pruned your shrub. If so, you may have accidentally pruned off their potential flowers. Be sure to look closely for these buds at the tips of the branches before you do any pruning. I'd also hold off on feeding; too much nitrogen can promote lots of green growth, at the expense of flowers. What I'd do is prune the plant back a bit to promote lots of new growth (and hopefully flower buds). Light pruning will also help keep the shrub dense and full as opposed to tall and lanky. I'm sure your plant will bloom soon - next spring, with any luck!