The Q&A Archives: Hydrangea leaves drying

Question: My daughter gave me a hydrangea for Mother's Day this year. She gave me a ceramic pot with the plant. She stated it would be too hot here to plant outside. I replanted it with potting soil in the ceramic pot. I water it every other day when top of soil is dry. It is in partial sun near window. We keep central air set at 77 degrees. Half of the leaves have dried starting at tips and have fallen off. Any help will be appreciated.

Answer: Glenda,

Your gardenia may be receiving too much water, that is, the soil is staying too soggy wet. Of course dry soil is also a possibility. You just have to dig down a few inches and feel the soil to see when it is drying out enough to need watering again. If you have a shady area that is bright and you want to plant the Gardenia outside you can go ahead and do so. If you keep it adequately moist it will be fine there. But it is also okay to grow it in a container as long as the container is very large.