The Q&A Archives: Citrus fungus

Question: I noticed early in the spring my citrus trees had a lot of a spanish moss hanging from the branches, now I notice like a greenish fungus all over the trunk, branches. I noticed some of the branches started to die out. Is there a remedy or should I have to cut down and burn all of my trees. I sprayed high pressure water into the trunk and branches and it seem to come off. What should I do. Thanks

Answer: Elio,

That green moss is not any parasite of the tree it is simply using the tree for attachment. The same is true for the greenish focus that you are seeing on trunk and branches. I don't know of any sprays for these plants which are growing on your citrus. You might try calling your County Extension Office to see if they have additional suggestions.