The Q&A Archives: Geraniums - Direct sun or not?

Question: I bought 4 geranium hanging baskets a month or so ago. The tag on them showed a full sun symbol under sun. I have one placed hanging under an oak tree, one hanging in the yard in full, all-day sun, one hangin from the patio in half sun, the other hangin near the house that catches only morning/early afternoon sun. The one in full sun flowers are all dry. The others are about half & half. Where is the best place for geraniums to thrive, full or part sun, pots or ground?

Answer: Tina,

In the south geraniums need a full sun location in spring and then in summer they need to move to a morning sun spot. Water to keep the soil fairly moist but allow it to dry out a bit between waterings as too much water is not good. They will grow in pots or in the ground.