The Q&A Archives: Vegetables and fruit I can plant under pine trees?

Question: My neighbor has pine trees on their side of the fence that they don't paticularily like, and has given us permission to cut the branches all the way up on our side, so I wanted to put a garden that bears vegetables or fruit underneith it. Is that possible or am I trying to do the impossible?

Would it work if i built up box sides and put a foot or two of new dirt on top or dug down a ways and used new dirt?

Once the pines are cut back it will have full sun.

Answer: You deserve a lot of credit for figuring out that you'll need to build some raised bed planters if you want success in your new garden space. Although the branches and shade are gone, the tree will still have lots and lots of roots in the area. Those roots will compete for water and nutrients with anything you plant directly in the ground so setting planters there will keep the roots out. Fill the planters with topsoil and plant any sun-loving vegetable you like. Enjoy!