The Q&A Archives: Toxin from Sunflower Hulls

Question: I feed the squirrels and the birds with black oil sunflower seeds. I get a buildup under the feeders, falling into my flowerbeds. It seems to inhibit growth of many plants. Even with regular raking I have lost many young spring plants. What plants will withstand the seeds?

Answer: Yes, there IS a toxin in the hulls of sunflower seeds that wil kill plants...whether grass or other plants. The simple, and MUCH neater aproach is to buy "Sunflower Hearts" or "Chipped Sunflower Seed". I have been doing this for years and it sure makes a difference. The birds eat EVERYTHING. If the seed drops to the ground, the ground feeders pick it up-or the squirrels and chipmunks get it.<br><br>It is more expensive, but you're not paying for the hulls...or the time you need toput in to clean up the mess! It really does work. Take it from one who knows. :-)