The Q&A Archives: betterboy tomatoes

Question: i planted betterboy tomatoes on good friday they have grown tall but i haven't seen one tomatoe grow on the vine can you tell me what went wrong. i have the cages for the vines and everything but i still don't have or seen anything yet can you please help me.

Answer: Better Boy tomatoes should ripen in 70-75 days so it doesn't sound as though yours are very happy. There's no secret to growing tomatoes. They like lots of sunshine, ample water, and a light feeding every 3-4 weeks. If your plants have not flowered, they're not getting enough heat or sunlight. If they have flowered but are not developing fruits, the insects have not been doing their jobs pollinating the flowers. If the weather is over 90F, the pollen can sometimes become sterile and no fruit will set. So, I can only suggest you make sure your tomatoes are getting enough sunshine, water and food. When they flower you can sharply tap the branches where the flowers are - this will make the pollen drop from the male to the female parts of the flowers and you should get fruit.

Good luck with your tomatoes!!