The Q&A Archives: Gardenia Pests and what to do

Question: I have a grafted Gardenia bush that we planted into the ground on Mother's Day of this year. It is doing very well and still blooming all of the time. But lately,I have noticed that something is eating the leaves, though not the buds. what should I use on the busg to prevent the pests destroying the leaves?

Answer: Paula,

It would help to know what type of insect is eating the leaves since the remedy is different for different insects. Try turning over some leaves to find the culprits. You may need to go out at night with a flashlight as some pests are nocturnal. If it is a caterpillar you can use a product with B.t. which is a natural ingredient. If it is a beetle or grasshoppers you may need to try a product with carbaryl or one of the synthetic pyrethroids. Your local County Extension Office agent can assist you with choosing the best product depending on the pests doing the damage.