The Q&A Archives: Azaleas

Question: I bought 6 Azaleas this year and planted them in various places. 4 were planted in a row two on each side of the sidewalk. After we fetilized all the plants and vegtables, the two azaleas that were planted on the left side of the walk, the leaves turned brown and fell off. There is one on the right side that is halfway turning brown and losing leaves. I had no problems before, they bloomed great in the spring and then had nice green foilage on them. What has happened? I used

Answer: Soon,

Those symptoms point to root problems. It is usually either soggy wet soil (poor drainage) or dry soil conditions after planting that cause this. The remedy is to get the soil moist and avoid overwatering while maintaining moderate moisture. If the initial damage was not too severe they plants should recover and resume new growth.