The Q&A Archives: Why are my newly planted lantana wilting?

Question: I live in Plano, Tx (lower south) and I just planted some lantana (and some vinca) in my flower beds. They are in the front lawn around my trees, but they do receive a significant amount of morning/afternoon sun. My vinca are good but the lantana are mad at me; I water them twice a day; and they are still wilting. (I just planted them about 3 days ago.) Is it too much/little water; not enough sun or just me? Help - I could move them to another spot that gets direct sun.

Answer: Sandie,

Both dry roots and soggy wet conditions can kill roots and result in wilting. It is also possible that when planted there was not good root-to-soil contact thus resulting in wilt prone plants. Try to keep the soil adequately moist. Summer is a tough time to plant in your hot climate and we have a fine line when it comes to watering between them quickly drying out and they being kept too soggy wet.