The Q&A Archives: Hibiscus

Question: My Hibiscus plants have a lot of flowers but also have a lot of yellow leaves and I'm not sure what is causing the leaves to turn yellow. We have a drip system so these plants are watered everyday at 7:00 AM for 15 minutes. I'm wondering if I need to water them more often now that the temperatures are over 100 degrees.

Answer: If the new growth looks fine and the yellowing leaves are towards the center of the plant, it's perfectly normal. Hibiscus is evergreen in Arizona and the plants eventually drop their oldest leaves and replace them with healthy new leaves. You can speed the replacement process up if you pull off the old yellowing leaves. That's what I do and my hibiscus looks green and lush all year around.