The Q&A Archives: What can I put down to stop the squirrels and rabbits from digging up my plants in the pots.

Question: How can I stop the squirrels and rabbits from eating my plants. I have a little little area where I have put some plants. My plants are in pots and squirrels and rabbits are having a picnic digging in my pot. Is there something that I can spread or spray so when they come over to smell and visit my plants they will go in the other direction. I live in Dublin. PA

Answer: How exasperating! I don't think there's a list of plants that rabbits won't eat, but there are a number of animal repellent sprays that would help deter rabbits and squirrels from eating the flowers. Try 'Get Away' or 'Deer Away' available in most garden centers. 'Deer Away' is efffective in deterring deer, squirrels and rabbits and lasts 7-10 days without washing off. Natural scent repellents such as coyote and fox urine are also available. Consider also interplanting your flowers with garlic, onions, Mexican marigold or Dusty Miller. Bunnies tend not to like their aroma. Also, you can make your own repellent mixture by mixing a few teaspoons of cayenne pepper, and a dash of soap in a quart of water. Spray on the plants you want to protect. You can try to scare rabbits and squirrels away from your garden by burying empty pop bottles with the tops poking up a few inches above the ground. The eerie whistle that results when the wind blows can scare them away. Sprinkling blood meal, ground hot peppers or human or dog hair around plants is also sometimes effective.

I wish you the best of luck in dealing with these impossible critters!