The Q&A Archives: lawns

Question: If you live in a wooded area, and there are a lot of trees in the yard, how the heck can you grow a beautiful lawn? I would really appreciate it if you could give me a solution to my family's problem.

Answer: You're located in what turf experts refer to as the "transition zone" between cold northern conditions and warm southern areas. Your particular microclimate will determine which grasses to choose - some folks use combinations of warm-season grasses (St. Augustine, zoysia) and cool turf (fine fescues). Whatever you grow, adjust your mower blade to mow high, since more blade surface means the grass is better able to capture the meager light available, and will be healthier. I suggest that you contact Gardens Alive (e-mail; ph# 812/537-8650) and find out if their "shade-tolerant" Turf Alive will stand the shade in your yard. Hope this helps!