The Q&A Archives: My newly built home has clay dirt around the trees and bush landscaping.

Question: I just bought a new home which include some initial landscaping around the tree (oak) and shrubs (box shrubs, holly). The dirt that is in these areas is clay like dirt. If we want to start planting some flower within the landscaping, how do we start? Do we put different soil on top of the clay dirt and then plant, or plant somewhere else in the yard?

Answer: Walter,

I'd start by spreading several inches of compost over the area and then mix it in well. This may be difficult with the roots of the tree in that area but it will help make the area more suitable for your flower's roots. You may also want to plant elsewhere in the yard. Compost additions are the single most important thing you can do for your clay soil to prepare it to make plants thrive.