The Q&A Archives: Seed Starting

Question: I have tamarindo seeds, Can they be planted to create a house plant. ( Also where can I find a Mimosa Tree, I live in North East Pennslyania, will it survive here?

Answer: You can grow plants from your tamarind seeds. Steep the seed in tepid water for a few hours before sowing.

Sow in a shallow pot contaning a mixture of seed compost and grit, just cover the seeds and keep warm, preferably with bottom heat, at 20?C for at least 3 weeks.When shoots emerge, keep damp, in a warm light place but not in direct sunlight.
Pot on the seedlings when big enough to handle. Keep them damp and warm, in a slightly shaded position at first, then move to a sunnier position. Use a third extra grit or silver sand mixed with the potting compost.

As the plants grow, move into bigger pots and top-dress with pine bark or leafmould. If you need to prune your tamarind, do it in the spring and summer.

Ideally keep plants at 20-27?C during the growing season, water heavily and mist daily: during the autumn reduce watering, and keep the plants fairly dry over winter, at a temperature of 18-20?C, when they will need more light.

Mimosa trees won't survive your winters outdoors. Wish I had better news!