The Q&A Archives: soil for blueberries

Question: What should I add to my sandy soil to help my blueberry plants. Is MirAcid one of the products to use. Or will MiracleGrow be the better choice?

Answer: Lots of organic matter, such as pine needles, composted pine bark, sawdust, shredded leaves and/or peat moss will not only provide a rich, loamy soil for your blueberries, it will also lower the pH. You only have to prepare the soil once so dig your planting hole and place the soil you removed into a wheelbarrow. To this add about half as much of the organic materials listed above and about a cup of sulfur. Mix everything together and use this to refill the planting hole. Start with a couple of inches of the amended soil on the bottom of the planting hole, place your plant on top and then fill in around the roots with the remaining amended soil. Water the plant well to help settle the soil and then mulch around the plant with the remaining amended soil. Miracid is slightly more acidic than Miracle-Gro so that would be the fertilizer of choice.

Best wishes with your blueberries!