The Q&A Archives: Japanese Maple

Question: I have had a japanese maple for more than 10 years in a large container, last year I planted in the ground. Every spring I get new green leaves which turn that beautiful crimson color, but then the leaves wilt and dye. What I am doing wrong? It is under a cover area and gets water frequently. thank you Anaq

Answer: Sometimes tender new foliage will dry with hot temperatures and low humidity from drying winds. The leaves don't even have to be in direct sunshine - just dry air will do that. As long as you don't see twig or branch die back and you know you're giving it proper waterings you're fine. I wish there were a solution for you but now that it is in the ground it will be hard to move it around in the garden until you find a spot it likes. The good news is that once the leaves drop off (or if you can reach them, pull them off) and the tree will replace the leaves with healthy new ones. Best wishes with your Japanese maple!