The Q&A Archives: Bay Breeze Indian Hawthorn/Rhaphiolepis Indica 'Hines Darkleaf' PP8635

Question: I purchased two Bay Breeze Indian Hawthrons at my Lake Elsinore CA Home Depot. On the plastic plant container it says they will get 2-3 feet tall. On the tag which was attached to the plant it says they will get 6 feet tall. I searched the internet and most sites say 2-3 feet tall. Was the tag on this plant wrong or is this a different variety? Thank you, Dan Oakley

Answer: Your Hines Dark Leaf Hawthorn (PP8635) is a patented plant and will grow 24-30" tall. It was patented by Hines Nursery in 1992 and according to the patent, the plant's growth habit is low, compact, prostrate, mounding; Overall size height 2 to 2.5', spread 6' or more. It is similar in habit to 'Ballerina' but is slightly smaller. Hope this clarifies things for you!