The Q&A Archives: Perennial flowering plants

Question: I live in Queen Creek, AZ and I was looking to plant some perennial flowering plants in my backyard that are pet friendly. However, I don't know what flowering plants are perennials in my area. Could you please help me?

Answer: Sounds as though you're really interesting in having a beautiful yard. If you want a guide to print out, go to the following website from Arizona State University:

It's 15 pages and very complete. If you'd just like a few ideas, here are favorites in my Mesa area garden: 10 annuals to plant: African daisy, gazania, geranium, lobelia, French marigold, petunia, phlox, Shirley poppy, snapdragon and sweet pea.

10 perennials to plant: blackfoot daisy, carnation, columbine, globe mallow, gaura, hollyhock, penstemon, ruellia, salvia and statice.

10 wildflowers to plant: bladderpod, California poppy, desert bluebell, desert marigold, desert sunflower, gaillardia, justicia, Mexican gold poppy, owl's clover and tidy tips.

10 flowering bulbs to plant around Nov. 1: anemone, Bermuda buttercup, butterfly iris, cape tulip, crocus, daffodil, Dutch iris, hyacinth, lady tulip and ranunculus. Depending on the weather, they may bloom from January to March.

Best wishes with your landscape!