The Q&A Archives: Mosquitoes..........................Help

Question: I want to know an inexpensive method of freeing my yard yard of mosquitoes, and is there something I can put down to ward off snakes????

Answer: Anita,

While you can kill mosquitos flying around the yard more will just fly in. Mosquitoes breed wherever there is a little standing water for even a couple of weeks. Eliminating these is an important part of controlling the pests. Even the catch basins beneath flower pots and poorly draining rain gutters can be breeding grounds. Products containing a form of B.t. (not the same type used for caterpillars) are sold for use in stagnant water ponds.

To protect you there are a number of good repellents on the market including Avon's Skin-So-Soft lotion. Citronella products keep them out of the immediate area but are limited in effectiveness.

The following web sites will give you lots more good info: