The Q&A Archives: Cherry tomato plants

Question: Please give me some suggestions to help produce sweet, juicy cherry tomatoes. The plant I bought at Home Depot is full grown, in a large pot, in a full sun position, and receiving water daily. However, the tomatoes are small, taste sour, and fall off the vine before turning bright red. What should I do?

Answer: Cherry tomatoes are notorious for splitting before or right after they've been picked. Some varieties, like 'Sweet 100', are more apt to split than others, which are bred to be crack-resistant. If you grow a variety that doesn't resist splitting, you can minimize the problem by watering evenly and sparingly and by mulching the top of the soil to avoid wet-dry cycles. Next season look for crack resistant varieties such as Sugar Snack, or Sun Sugar cherry tomatoes.

Best wishes with your tomato plants!