The Q&A Archives: Oranges

Question: My daughter planted me an orange tree last summer and I am moving from Florida it's natural environment to Texas. Is it possible to have the tree in a pot and transfer it from outside in the spring summer and fall to the house in the winter? I do not want to lose this plant it is very precious to me.

Answer: Katie,

I don't believe that the department of agriculture will allow you to transport citrus and to Texas and Florida. I suggest once you arrive at the Arlington area seek out a garden center such as local Home Depot and purchase a new plant. There are many great types of citrus sold in Texas that worked very well in containers and which can be moved in to a protected spot for the winter. Look for a Satsuma orange since they are a bit hardier than most.