The Q&A Archives: Indoor Tree

Question: Can a Ficus/Fig Tree be a good tree to have indoors?
Have a large open area (Formal dining/Sitting area in front of Fireplace) I'd like to use for a room divider.
Looking for @ least 6'!
Thank you,
Noreen McAndrew

Answer: Ficus grows well indoors and is a good candidate for using as a room divider. You might also consider using Dracaena, Palm, Schefflera or bamboo. Another idea is to use a planter box with a trellis and plant a vine or climbing plant. A few indoor-friendly vines or climbing plants that you could grow on your trellis are:
Passiflora (aka Passion Flower), Philodendrons, Pothos, Fatshedera or Ficus Pumila.

The plants you choose should fit the available light and temperature - being near a fireplace can be a problem for ficus but shouldn't bother bamboo or palm. Pothos will grow anywhere, as will dracaena. Just a few things to consider, but I like your idea of using plants as a room divider.

Best wishes with your indoor garden!