The Q&A Archives: Storing Seeds

Question: I discovered some unopened flower and vegetable seed packets from 2008. It's too late to plant them for this year, so how and where should I store them?

Answer: Seeds begin to lose viability as they age so they should be used as soon as practical. It's a little late in the season to start vegetable and flower seeds so I'd suggest storing the seeds in a cool, dark place until next spring. I put my half used seed packets in a mason jar (or a plastic baggie) and set them on a lower shelf of a cabinet or linen closet - somewhere away from heat. Your seeds should last about 3 years before theres any noticible drop in germination. Be sure to mark on your 2009 calendar (March is a good month) that you have seeds stored. This way you won't forget to plant them.

Happy Gardening!