The Q&A Archives: Hydrangeas

Question: I have several hydrangeas in my back yard. Recently 3 of my hydrangeas started slowly turning brown up the stems and then suddenly died. Before this all three hydrangeas were very healthy and full. None were located in the immediate proximity of each other and the still

Answer: Jeff,

Good description with plenty of details. However that is a mystery situation as your plants seem to be getting good care and growing conditions. I suspect a disease but it could be that the soil is staying wetter than you think or perhaps if the watering is by sprinkler the foliage/stems are being kept wet for too much of the time thus inviting disease problems. You might try some general purpose fungicide sprays as a protective/preventative measure. Something with triforine or chlorothalonil as the active ingredient would be a good choice. Prune out any dead/diseased shoots prior to spraying. Dip your pruners in rubbing alcohol or spray with Lysol after cutting a diseased shoot and before cutting another plant.