The Q&A Archives: Rabbit destruction

Question: I have 3 beautiful gardens around my house, but this years only 2 look beautiful because the rabbits ate everything as it was coming out of the ground. Almost nothing came back after they ate on the plants. Did they kill it so it will not come back year?

Answer: When young plants get gnawed to the ground and are without foliage to photosynthesize, they can die, but after the plant gets big enough, a little gnawing around the edges won't hurt it, and of course, the rabbits can only reach so high. If nothing is coming back, you may have lost the plants. Aside from spraying with repellents (which sometimes work and sometimes don't) you could put chicken wire around the garden or individual plants while they establish and then remove it after a year or two. I know these aren't perfect solutions, but unfortunately for gardeners, when it comes to rabbits, there's alot of trial and error. The bottom line is, that if an animal is hungry and thirsty enough, it will eat anything, and the only surefire method is a fence. Good luck!