The Q&A Archives: petunia

Question: I have petunias planted directly in the ground that seen to do really well. I have had trouble with those in my hanging basket. It does drain well. It looked great in spring but recently the petunias just dry up and die. It gets eastern morning sun. Whats up with this. How much water do petunias like?

Answer: The physical difference between being planted in the ground and being planted in a container hints at the answer to your question. In a container the roots are exposed to excessive heat both from direct sunlight and from ambient air temperature. Overheated roots, even with ample water, will result in death of the plants. As the roots heat up they rupture, stopping water from moving through the vascular system causes the plants to wilt. One way around this is to set the plants in a container, then set the container in a hanging basket. Fill in between the containers with insulating material and the problem should be solved.

Best wishes with your garden.