The Q&A Archives: Transplanting Hollyhocks

Question: Just for fun I'm trying to start a perenial garden in full sun. I mixed peat moss cause the soil was rather hard. I transplanted some grown Hollyhocks and wondered if they had a chance to take. I dug the hole first, then dug up the Hollyhocks with exposed roots pretty much intacked and put them in the hole, filled it with soil, fed them and staked them. I've been good about giving them plenty of water but they still look droopy. Do I have a chance at keeping them. They are a beautiful mix of color. I live in central Ohio. Thank you. Sarah Maxwell

Answer: I think your hollyhocks are showing some transplant stress. Even though you were careful in planting, hollyhocks resent being moved and will sulk for a while. For the most part, hollyhocks are biennial. This means they will grow the first year, and flower the second year. After they flower, they will die. The seeds they drop into the soil will come up the following year. I don't think all is lost with your hollyhock. Give it a little more time and it should perk up. If not, sow seeds early next spring in their places.

Best wishes with your garden!